Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Happy Birthday, and some Fun updates!

(some real life stuff, because I'm a human not a robot)Today I rode the local bus system to figure out how to get up to Alexandria. My dad let me know there's an easier way, and I might just do that instead tomorrow. Why you might ask? Well I have an interview, and I am hopeful that this will either lead to a career start or just an informative lesson on what I need to improve.

(back to your regularly scheduled Sweet Yarn)
Remember that scarf I was telling you about? It's done! And I submitted the project to Lion Brand's contest. Here's a picture of it below:







I've also been working on some things while I was away. Say hello to the "tea mug" complete with handle and tea inside!(another project I submitted to their contest.)


I'm also working on a blanket, and it has two more skeins of yarn left to complete it. I'll show you once it's done, but so far I've got: seed stitch, bamboo stitch, grape seed stitch(modified), and the herringbone stitch. I have to say, the herringbone stitch is one of the more challenging stitches I've done so far.

I'm going to show you a stitch I made up today(late last night really) using a 100% wool yarn! I will call it the Lady Lace stitch(instructions after the review)

(Review time! Bernat brand: Handicrafter Cotton Yarn Calla Lily)
Boy oh boy was this yarn a soft one. As I was crocheting my scarf I found that it was easy to use, and it didn't leave my hands feeling sore, as with a lower quality yarn. What I loved most about this one is the color variations. It seamlessly went from green to white to dark green. It was a fun and funky addition to my project. One thing: I wish the yarn didn't need to be washed seperately...it would be more cost effective for me if the finished product could be tossed in with some jeans or my regular laundry. Ah well, beauty has it's costs, and for Bernat's Handicrafter...it's totally worth it! Since I got this huge pound of yarn(608 yards,WOW) I was able to make a very sassy scarf, and it could double as a shawl on those fun nights out with friends(or a date).

The pattern on the label was for a handbag AND a towel.

Bernat Handicrafter Yarn:
Softness:3/5(a little rough,but plush when crocheted up)
Price:5/5(the price is better then getting two separate skeins;wait for a sale)
Color:4/5(colorfastness is uncertain,hasn't been washed)
Ease of use:5/5(crochets up smoothly and isn't a stress on my hands when balled)


Now for that pattern:
Lady Lace Stitch
This stitch is done in sets of 2. So whatever you end on make it even.
Keep the project in your left hand as you work. You should be seeing the front on row 1 in the left, and the back of row 2 in the left. Of course if you're a lefty knitter then do the opposite but same thing.
Row 1 Yarn over(YO); knit 2 together(repeat these two steps to the end)
Row 2 Purl; slip the YO to the working needle

repeat this pattern. You should be seeing something like this:

Front:

Back:

As for the yarn I used? Stay tuned. I'm going to review it very soon ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment